Wow, we are full steam ahead with our blog writing….and about time too! Here is the next instalment….enjoy!
Point Cloud (LiDAR)
So, Point Cloud survey data. What is it and how can we use it? That’s the question I get from many of my clients.
A point cloud is what it say’s on the tin, a cloud of millions of points captured using LiDAR technology to make up the 3-Dimensional earth we live on. A point cloud is captured using aerial, static and mobile techniques and gives you measured land with everything that sits on it. For Example (just a sample!):
- Buildings (exterior and interior)
- Street furniture assets
- Road surface and assets (white lines, VRS, lighting columns)
LiDAR point cloud is considered the most efficient solution of capturing large areas or terrain, urban and rural.
Who is it used by?
- Landscape Architects
- Civil Engineers
- Environmental consultants
- Urban/Town planners
- Local Authorities
What is it’s uses?
- Digital Elevation Model production (DTM and DSM)
- Town/City Planning – City Modelling, identification, visualisation, design
- Highways/Corridor – design/asset capture
- Flood modelling
- Arboriculture, Forestry – vegetation health detection
- Power lines – sag detection, vegetation clash detection
- Renewables – Solar potential analysis
- Photomontage production
- High resolution as built 3D Modelling of structures
- CyberCity3D high resolution smart GIS buildings!
- Many more!!
CartoConsult have the software and expertise needed to use the LiDAR point cloud effectively to ensure clients get exactly what they need from the data.
In order to use point cloud data it needs to be processed ready for one of the uses above.
As you can see from the above, many professionals can us this flexible LiDAR survey data and there are many uses for the data, which makes the capture and use extremely cost effective. The data from one point cloud laser scan can be used over and over again.
CartoConsult have surveying partners to capture LiDAR and the expertise in-house to produce solutions for clients. Please get in touch for more information and a no obligation quotation.
Until next time……